Ok, humor me!
I’m going to show the anodizing process once more, but in a little more detail this time. I just completed the base piece for the front standard and before I scratch the crap out of it putting everything together, I’m going to try to anodize it first. Hopefully preserving some of my efforts to make it look nice.
Here it is after machining and careful buffing with red scotch brite.
Now it gets washed thoroughly.
Next I put gloves on to avoid fingerprints and degrease it. I used Simple Green. Then it gets rinsed in distilled water.
From there it goes into the NaOH bath. I went with five minutes this time to see if it would give me more of a matte finish. As you can see, lots of bubbles evolve. It’s some nasty gas that you don’t want to breathe. I find myself coughing if I get too close – open a window!
It gets rinsed again in distilled water, then goes into the tank full of dilute Sulfuric Acid.
Leads from the car charger are attached (red to the part to be anodized) and power turned on: 12V at 2 Amps. Lots of bubbles form at the cathode almost instantly. You can’t really tell from a photo but bubbles are just billowing up from its surface. A few form on the part, but not many.
You wait around for an hour…
And out it comes! It gets rinsed off again and the acid is secured… I think you can see that the surface is less shiny bright. It has more of a satin look to it.
Now the finish is hydrothermally sealed. In plain English, it gets boiled in water… This is actually how it is done by professional metal finishers – ya boil it!
Find something else to do for another hour and…
I think you can see that it now has a more gray-appearing surface, and it is definitely a more dull finish than I started with. Perfect!
Ok, I’ll be developing about six rolls of film very soon. I went on a few outings and haven’t taken the time to process. That should be my next posting.